By: Rose Marie Jarry, Master Chef at Kronobar
120 minutes + 24hours of soaking the previous day, 2 loaves, about 16 servings, 331 calories per serving, Vegan, gluten-free
There appears to be a lot of ingredients in this recipe, but to make a rich, healthy and tasty fruit cake you need a few things. Your patience and dedication will be rewarded when you taste this cake for the first time. This no sugar added, vegan, low fat fruit cake will become your favorite.
Pay attention in your choices of dried fruit, too. Use all unsweetened dried fruit; we don’t need to add more sugar to the all-natural sugar that comes from those fruits. Cranberry can be harder to find unsweetened, but you can find it having been soaked in apple juice instead of sugar.
- ½ cup dried plums
- 1 cup dried figs, diced
- 1 cup dried dates, diced
- 1 cup dried raisins
- 1 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup crystallized ginger all natural and organic sugar
- ½ cup rum
- 1 ½ cups real juice fruit, no sugar added (apple, grape or tropical mix)
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 cup gluten free flour of your choice (pea, rice quinoa, broad bean etc.)
- 1 TBS baking soda
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup raw pecan nuts
- 1 TSP nutmeg powder
- 2 TSP cinnamon powder
- 1 lemon, zested
- The day before you will cook this cake you need to take all the dried fruits and lemon zests (not the crystallized ginger) and soak them a bowl of the juice and rum. Let it soak for a good 24 hours minimum.
- When this is ready to use, preheat the oven to 295F.
- Soak the ground flax seeds in the 1 cup of water for 5 to 10 minutes minimum.
- Mix all the other remaining ingredients into a mixer bowl. Incorporate the soak fruits and flax seeds. Mix for 1 minute or so, until everything seems to be homogenized.
- Pour the mixture into 2 pre-greased loaf pans. Cook in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Depending of the strength of your oven, I suggest you always double check 2-3 time during the cooking process to avoid burning your masterpiece.
- It’s ready when the tooth pick comes out clean after you insert it into the cake.
Let the cake cool down for a good hour before serving it. To preserve that cake for many days, put it in the fridge, well wrapped in wax paper and in a hermetic container. You could freeze one of the two loaves and use them few week after. Just make sure you wrap it well beforehand.