By: Whole Foods Market®
Nutrient-dense, dark leafy greens pair with beans for a satisfying and great-for-you dish. Use 1 (16-ounce) package of frozen dark leafy greens instead of fresh greens for a quick shortcut.
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound (1 to 2 bunches) dark leafy greens, such as collards, kale or mustard greens, tough stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 can no-salt-added white beans, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Bring broth to a simmer in a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Stir in greens, in batches if needed, along with beans, rosemary, thyme and crushed red pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, stirring once. Uncover and cook another 2 minutes or until greens are very tender. Stir in black pepper and serve.
Per Serving: 210 calories (10 from fat), 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 39g carbohydrates, (12 g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 14g protein
Serves 4, vegan, vegetarian, low fat, sugar conscious, dairy free, low sodium
Note: We’ve provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we’re cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
For healthy eating tips, hundreds of recipes, cooking techniques, meal plans and more, visit Whole Foods Market’s Healthy Eating resources.